Outside!

I tried a treadmill only once, last winter, when it was dark, dark and the rains made the pavement unsafe.  Thank goodness the weather has been unusually fair and lovely this year, because I found the treadmill confusing and depressing and boring.  

Besides, there is so much to see outside, especially now that it is spring.

This morning just after I set out on my run, I saw an older gentleman shuffling along the sidewalk with a frail little poodle.  The man was looking at the ground but something made him look up.  I was wearing headphones, so I didn't hear what it was.  Then he waved and spoke to someone ahead of me, across the street, and as I rounded a huge bush, I saw it was a dangerous looking teenager, just coming out of his house.  The boy smiled, too, waved, and hurried away.  I loved that tiny exchange; in a single moment both faces were transformed, alive and bright.  

A few blocks later, close to the elementary school, I saw a little girl on her bicycle.  I am happy to report that this time she was not talking on her bubble gum pink cell phone, which she had been doing earlier this week.

Later I saw a fat robin on a fence, in a shaft of sunlight.  I have seen several great herons; last winter one floppy-swooped off my neighbor's roof right above me!  Murmurations  I've seen so many.  Even if you hate starlings, like I do, still, a murmuration is an impressive sight.  And once a squirrel scampered down a tree and ran along beside me for almost a full block, again and again glancing over, as if to say, Woman!  What the hell?!

At about the three-mile point this morning, I turned a corner and saw a man standing in his front walkway, with keys dangling from one hand, as if about to go to work.  Just standing, his back to me.  I saw an animal away down the block, and wondered for a second if it was a dog, his dog, and was a tiny bit nervous.  (I have always been a smidgen apprehensive about loose dogs, but was bitten by a Rottweiler over the spring break, and am, you know, just a smidgen more apprehensive since.)  But it was a cat. 

As I approached the house, I saw that this fellow was talking with a woman standing in the doorway.  She was leaning against the doorjamb wearing only a big towel; her hair was wet.  I made eye contact with the woman, briefly, and then looked away.  Neither took notice of me.  I had caught them in that moment of relaxed intimacy.  Ordinary people, but in that moment, so beautiful.

Since I spend so much time alone in a dark sound booth, there is something comforting about knowing that folks are living their little lives, just like I am, knowing that all around me stories are unfolding.  I do not love running, but I do love being out in my neighborhood, out in this lovely, messy world.      




Comments

  1. Lovely, Nicole! you almost inspire me to take up running... (almost).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almost. Ha! Me, too, Nancy, me, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts